Friday, April 6, 2018
Lesson plan for English
Lesson plan for English
Name of the teacher trainee:..sajini Name of school: ........................
Subject: English. Class: 9th
Unit: Care for morrow. Strength: 45
Topic: Song of the Rain. Time: 45 min.
Sub-topic: I am dotted silver lines.........
.................wings of death.
Name of the teacher educator: Manju.P.K
Theme: Preservation of nature.
Sub-theme: Natural phenomena and natural calamities.
The learners will be able to ;
- Read and appreciate poems.
- Get familiar with poetic devices
- Speak and read with proper stress, rhythm, and intonation.
- Enrich vocabularies by guessing the meaning of the words like adorn, embellish, quench.
- Develop awareness about nature and its importance.
- Recognize the importance of natural phenomena.
- Think critically and creatively
- Reading and appreciating the poem.
- Familiarizing the poetic devices.
- Writing a poem.
- Developing the writing skills of the learner.
- Developing the creativity of the learner.
Process / Assessment.
- Individual reading
- Teacher’s modal reading
- Group activities.
- Pair work.
Khalil Gibran through ‘Song of the Rain’ unveils the beauty of rain and express the feelings of rain. We feel him as a person who loves the earth immensely.
- Learners are able to enjoy and appreciate the poem.
- They are able to understand the importance of preserving nature.
- They are able to understand the figure of speech.
- They are able to write an appreciation of the poem.
- Video clip on nature conservation.
- Image of Khalil Gibran
- Image of decorated house.
- Image of thirsty crow.
Teacher shows a video clip and the problems regarding it and then generates a discussion on it. Then she asks the learners to observe the titular picture and then asks some questions based on it.
- What do you see in the picture?
- Who is responsible for the present situation of our planet?
- What can we do to protect our nature?http://www.slideshare.net/anitachadha/song-of-the-rain
Then the teacher discuss about the blessings from nature. She introduces the poem ‘Song of the Rain’ written by Khalil Gibran. KHALIL GIBRAN
Teacher introduces the author image of Khalil Gibran) and background of the poem.
Silent reading by the learner.
Teacher asks the learner to read the first five stanzas of the poem silently and asks them to find the answers to the global comprehension questions.
Global comprehension questions.
- What is the title of the poem?
- Who is the author of the poem?
- Who is the speaker of the poem?
- Who is dropped from heaven by gods?
- Who laughs when the rain cry?
- What does the nature do with the silver threads?
Reading in pair.
Teacher asks the learners to sit in pairs and read the poem .She asks them to underline the hard words. Teacher encourages them to find the meaning of the hard words using dictionary.
- Adorn -/ədɔrn/ to decorate.
Context 1 –Teacher generates a discussion on how people decorate their houses during festivals. Then the teacher replaces the word to decorate with ‘adorn’.
Context2- Teacher generates a discussion on how students decorate the school during independence day. Then she replaces the word decorate with ‘adorn’. She motivates the learner to construct a sentence using the word ‘adorn’
Eg: Shyama used ribbons to adorn her hair.
- Embellish-/ɛmbɛlɪʃ/ to decorate.
Context 1- teacher exhibits the picture of a decorated house (image of decorated house ) and generates a discussion .She replaces the word ‘embellish’ with the word decorate.
Context 2- Teacher connect the word ‘ embellish’ with the word ‘ adorn’ and generates a discussion among students. She replaces the word ‘embellish’ with decorate. Teacher motivates the learner to construct a sentence using the word ‘embellish’
Eg: Riya bought new curtains to embellish the windows.
- Quench-/kwɛntʃ/ to satisfy
Context1- Teacher asks the learners what they do during summer season when they feel thirst and generate a discussion on it .Then the teacher says that we drink water to satisfy our thirst. She replaces the word ‘to satisfy’ with the word ‘quench’
Context 2- Teacher tells the story of thirsty crow
(images of thrsty crow) and discuss on how the crow satisfied the thirst in a clever way. Then she replaces the word ‘ to satisfy’ with ‘ quench’. She motivates the learner to construct a sentence using the word ‘quench’
Eg: Students quenched their thirst for knowledge by reading books.
Loud reading by the teacher.
Teacher read the poem with correct stress and rhythm and explains the feeling experienced in the poem.
Questions of appreciation.
- Comment on the expression “when I cry, the hills laugh”?
- What is rain compared to?
- In what sense are the cloud and the field lovers?
- “I am like earthly life “- how so?
- Who is the sick one cured by rain?
Teacher asks the learners to write a poem of few lines about on ‘Rain’. She gives some leading questions to help the learner.
- Do you think rain is beautiful?
- What are the peculiarities of rain?
- Who is the mother of rain?
- Do you think rain symbolises love?
Individual presentation by students.
Students present their work randomly and teacher edits it.
Today it’s raining
The drops of rain
Glimmer out of my windows.
I hear the rain
Pitter, patter on the roof
I love to watch the rain fall
From the heaven, like a soft touch to my soul.
Refinement in groups
Teacher asks the learners to form groups and refine the answers based on discussion and teacher’s version.
Group leaders present answers .Teacher edits it thematically, semantically, grammatically and morphologically.
Prepare a collection of rain poems.